Friday, April 22, 2011

S=Swimming, Aquacise, and Water in general

I have always loved being in the water: pool, ocean, bathtub... love them all! My mother has been aquacizing for many years now, and when Y-workouts and Curves became too strenuous for me, she invited me to go to her water exercise class. Although I didn't visit hers, I did find one of my own...

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, a group of amazing women meet in the pool (at our local YMCA) to exercise their bodies and socialize their minds. Most of them suffer from Fibromyalgia and/or other chronic pains. Did you know that if you are up to your neck in water, the gravity-force on your body is reduced by 95%? I feel wonderful in the water! Even on the most painful days, being in the water feels better than being on land!

I was fortunate to meet with some water-physical-therapists in the therapy pool at Duke. (Actually, at Lennox-Baker Children's Hospital. They have a heated pool, 95°, with rails and a ramp, really perfect for people with pain. They gave me individualized moves, and I confirmed what we do in our class. All was approved, with caveats for my personal needs (no jumping/jogging, no twisting, etc). I felt much more comfortable that "professionals" had approved this class, and recommended it for me.

I have been going to the pool regularly since last February. I find, now, that if I miss even one class, I feel worse. When I can go very consistently, I feel better. And, the ladies understand when I just can't get out of bed to get to the pool. Or, if I can just make it to the pool, but can only float and bob around. And, I understand the same for them.

I have laughed more in the pool in the last year than any where else. We have "joke time" where we tell each other actualy jokes; we have standard jokes (auditioning for the rockets; or if figure-8's are too hard, you can try 1's and 7's; racing cycles to the wall); and we laugh over whatever new thing has happened (we have one precious friend who just endured a 3-day colonoscopy, and she can laugh about it!).

Ladies, I told you that I would write about you. Thank you for welcoming me as one of your own, for allowing me to groan and moan or to laugh and joke, just as I need. Thank you for letting me teach the "newbies" (you know that I love to do it). Thank you for reminding me that I can laugh, even in the midst of trouble. Thank you for your wisdom that hasn't been "put out to pasture."

2 comments:

  1. When I was going through chemo, it was the strangest thing but I was very drawn to water,(I've always loved water but this was different). I remember writing on my caring bridge, "looking for a pool to float in". It made me feel better.

    So glad you have a great group to "float" with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People rely on painkillers for the general reason, as in for receiving quick relief from severe pain. But they get so much adapted to this that they completely forget about the Side effects of painkillers.

    Be it their habit or out of desperation, people recurrently turn to pain medications to get fast relief from the excruciating pain which they experience due to arthritis, back injuries, migraine headache, any kind of surgeries and other diseases. Often it is experienced that these painkillers are fruitful to the patients and once their pain gets resolved they forget all about it. Again when they next feel the pain growing, they quickly pop in painkillers without once thinking about the side effects of painkillers.

    Leonardo Vargas
    Findrxonline

    ReplyDelete