Friday, April 1, 2011

A=About

It's appropriate the my first post should give some background to the topics ahead. In May of 2007, I suddenly began having severe, debilitating, chronic muscle spasms and pain in my lower back and hips. My back has always been a 'weak spot' for me - at 20 years old, I had a spinal fusion (L5-S1) - but, I have been healthy for years since then. This new pain was unexpected and surprisingly life-changing.

I spent the first summer with my Chiropractor, the wonderful Dr. Dean Meylor, who helped with the pain, but couldn't provide long-term relief. In August, I went to Dr. Elsner with Vanguard Brain & Spine, and got an MRI (which showed I was non-surgical). Spent the next 12 months receiving a variety of cortisone shots from them, with no relief. The next May, I had to leave my job teaching  at Caldwell Academy. The following August (2008), my excellent Family Doctor (Dr. Lisa Miller) recommended me to the High Point Pain Clinic (Dr. Maria Bodea). She prescribed significant painkillers (which helped), and more cortisone shots (which didn't). After a year with little progress, I visited Duke's Orthopedic (Dr. Brown) and Pain Clinic (Dr. Rogers). I spent a year of therapy there, including a nerve ablation (a very painful procedure), which also didn't work.

In August of 2010, I was referred to Dr. Chip Watkins. His specialty is chemical balances with supplements. He told me that he couldn't fix my back, but he could make the rest of me feel better - WOOHOO! He actually did! I began feeling better almost immediately, and in January 2011 (my 6-month check-up) I feel like a new woman!  At the same time, Dr. Watkins referred me to a miraculous physical therapist Lorraine Kingham, who manually works the muscles, tendons, ligaments around my back and hips. It was Lorraine that discovered that I had bursitis not only in my hip joints (trochanteric), but also in my lower back (sacrum). Once I could get cortisone shots in the right places, my pain was practically GONE!

So, I will daily consider some of the things that I have learned during this process. I want to say at the start that I am grateful for the numerous people that have helped me during this time, both in the medical community, my friends, and family - I'm coming back into life!

See you tomorrow!
Jane

7 comments:

  1. Jane,
    I look forward to reading your blog. I am so glad to hear you have found some answers and some relief. I know it has been a LONG and HARD three years.

    I will always remember how sweetly you welcomed me to Caldwell. You are one of my most treasured memories of my first few months there. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I'm so glad you joined the blogging world! I look forward to keeping up with you here.... especially during the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. You have walked a painful road. Glad you joined the blog challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see the beginning of your journal here. Have you discovered how to schedule your posts? I live with mine (write the post the day before, schedule it under post options for the next day). I can't wait to see you here. You're one of the few I commit to reading every day during this challenge! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a path you have been on. Life is hard enough. It’s good to hear you’ve found the right doctor/therapist to give you relief.

    A-Z Fellow Challenger
    Holly Ruggiero’sPOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that you were able to find some answers!

    Looking forward to following your story!


    Matt Conlon dot com
    Matt's Brew Log

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, thanks for your blogs. I'm going through some of what you have explained, but mine is in my arms and shoulders. I will continue reading your blogs. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete