Wednesday, April 27, 2011

W = Work

Work (and productivity and contributing to society) is a part of life. I was built for work. I like to work. Granted, I'm not a saint who would rather work than sit on the beach, but being forced to not work has shown me the value of being able to work.

I have been fortunate in my careers. I have found passion in teaching (see Monday's post), but I have had opportunities in other areas. Since I got married (20 years next month), I have had the option to work full-time or part-time, or (occasionally) to not work at all. I have made good friends at work, and learned from some great bosses.

During the last four years of pain, I have felt keenly the "down" time required by my body. Sometimes, it is nice to just be able to "laze around the house." I highly recommend it from time to time. But, after a while, it gets old...

I think one of the best indications that I was beginning to feel better was my pursuit of a part-time tutoring job last fall. The ability to go to school and work with kids (kindergartners learning how to read; so cute) and be productive and help them... this was one of the best therapies for my self. I didn't even tell any of them that I was struggling with pain; it didn't matter to them, and I was able to do what they needed. It was the beginning of "coming back into life" for me.

Do you like what you do for a living? If not, what would you rather do? Why aren't you doing it?

If we have to spend one-third of our waking hours earning money, it's better to do something you like. Of course, in this economy, it's also better to do something that pays the bills...

No comments:

Post a Comment